Erectile dysfunction is characterized by the inability to develop or maintain an erection, and affects an estimated 18 million men in the U.S. alone. For most, the thought of erectile dysfunction (ED) is unsettling. However, with the various treatment options available today there is almost always a solution for ED, regardless of the cause.
Our team of Beverly Hills urologists consists of leading experts in the field. At Pure Health, our doctors take great pride in providing confidential treatment plans for patients with erectile dysfunction. To make a private appointment with one of our highly regarded urologists, please call us today at (855) 360-9119.
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction can come about from both physical and psychological conditions. A urologist will perform a complete physical examination and personal history to identify the cause of a patient’s ED. The most common causes include:
- Chronic kidney, vascular, or neurological disease
- Common medication used for blood pressure or depression
- Surgery in and around the nerves that control erections
- Psychological factors
What Treatments Are Available?
After diagnosing the cause of the ED, the doctor can recommend a treatment plan. The first step toward correcting ED often includes lifestyle changes such as reducing stress and exercising regularly. For chronic or more severe cases of ED, the following treatments are available:
- Oral Medication: Medicine for erectile dysfunction, like Viagra, Levitra, Cialis, and Staxyn, increases the blood flow to the penis to initiate and maintain an erection firm enough for sexual activity. The type and strength of oral medication needed is based on the patient’s unique situation.
- Vacuum Erectile Device: A vacuum erectile device (VED) is a medical grade vacuum pump with a cylinder that fits over the penis. It draws blood flow to the penis using vacuum pressure to stimulate an erection. After an erection occurs, a constricting band is placed at the base of the penis and the cylinder is removed to allow for sexual activity. The band can be removed after intercourse.
- Injectable and Urethral Medication: A combination of medications is directly injected into the area of the penis that becomes erect. The injections increase penile blood flow and an erection is usually achieved within 15 minutes at lasts between 30 – 90 minutes. Some of these medicines can also be inserted with along with a local anesthetic into the urethra.
- Penile Implant: When the previous treatment options do not work for a patient, surgery is an option. A penile implant or penile prosthesis, in which penile “rods” are placed within the corpora cavernosa and a control is placed within the scrotum above the testicles, allows patients to pump the rods into an erect position for sexual activity and simply deflate the device when finished.
Erectile dysfunction can be difficult to cope with. It is important to communicate effectively with your partner as well as your doctor to promote healthy management of ED. Stress and depression are both contributing factors and possible side effects of ED. Maintaining intimacy before and after treatment can reduce stress or depression brought on by erectile dysfunction. Our doctors can also recommend lifestyle changes to optimize your treatment.
Erectile Dysfunction FAQ’s
Q: How can I tell if I have erectile dysfunction?
A: Occasional inability to have an erection is normal and may not be a sign of ED. If you have noticed that erections are becoming infrequent and more difficult to maintain, or that you are unable to achieve an erection in certain situations, you should consult with a urologist to determine a diagnosis and available treatment options.
Q: With so many options, how do I choose which treatment is right for me?
A: Treatment will vary depending on individual health and whether the ED is attributed to physical or psychological problems. The urologists of Pure Health can walk you through various treatment options and will develop a personalized treatment plan based on your specific condition and desired outcome.
Q: Can treatment for ED restore intimacy to my relationship with my spouse or partner?
A: Yes, most ED treatment is successful at restoring intimacy and sexual satisfaction. Your doctor can work with you and your partner to overcome the barriers to sexual intimacy that any erectile dysfunction has produced.
Contact a Urologist in Beverly Hills
We understand that erectile dysfunction can be an extremely sensitive topic and one that most men would rather avoid in conversation. Millions of men suffer from ED, so you are not alone. If you are experiencing erectile dysfunction, contact the urologists at Pure Health Health Systems confidentially at (855) 360-9119 for more information about treatments and our medical team.